Early 1890s - John F. Butt, a grocer and part-time preacher in the new "suburb" of Dilworth, starts a Sunday school for the children in the Atherton Mill village. For adults, he preaches under trees and later in homes.
1896 - Using his own money, Butt builds a white frame church - the first Dilworth Methodist Church, but commonly called Butt's Chapel - at the corner of Worthington and Cleveland avenues. (The Methodist Conference later reimbursed him.)
1916 - A new brick church is built on the same site. That structure is still standing and is presently used as a restaurant.
1922 - Church members decide they need to expand and buy land on East Boulevard. James B. Duke, when asked to contribute to the building fund, agreed - but only if the church were built of stone. And so it was. Mr. Duke gave $50,000; total cost was $250,000.
1926 - Dilworth Methodist Church moves into its new sanctuary building.
1927 - Parsonage is added beside the church.
1927-1939 - Fellowship activities are in "the hut," built by men of the church on the other side of the sanctuary building. It is torn down in 1939 to make room for a new educational building.
1941 - The J.A. Jones Educational Building is completed to provide additional Sunday school rooms and a fellowship hall. Mr. Jones was a church member and contributed substantiallyto its construction. Adjoining the building, beside the sanctuary, the Jones Prayer Chapel was built in memory of Maude Boren Jones.
1940s - Louie Mae Langford starts one of Charlotte's first kindergarten programs.
1960 - The Children's Building and Terry Chapel are completed. Mrs. George Terry contributed generously to the chapel in memory of her husband.
1965 - A second parsonage for the senior minister opens on Wickersham Drive. The Rev. Tom Stockton and his wife, Jean, are the first family to occupy it.
1967 A School Readiness Program for neighborhood children not attending kindergarten is launched, with classes in the East Boulevard parsonage. In 1971, the Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services takes over that program and incorporates it into a day-care center in the children's building.
1960s - One of DUMC's most popular traditions, Wednesday Night Fellowship, is launched, offering a freshly prepared meal for church families, followed by music and study activities.
1977 - The church kindergarten and DSS child-care center are combined into a new Dilworth Child Development Center, operated by the church. It is now a 5-star child-care center serving 86 children.
1970s - Several ministries for the community are initiated at Dilworth United Methodist Church:
Dilworth Community Ministries, a joint project with eight other neighborhood churches to support various social programs in the community.
The Relatives, a temporary home for troubled teenagers.
Crisis Assistance Ministry, to assist families in financial crisis.
KinderMourn, an agency for bereaved parents.
1992-93 - A new three-manual Rolland-Visser pipe organ is built and installed.
1996 - Dilworth United Methodist Church celebrates its 100th birthday.
1999 - The David E. and Marjorie P. Truax Memorial Columbarium between the sanctuary and Terry Chapel is completed. Gardens are added, with help from the Kenneth O. and Mary Hobbs Memorial Fund, with a fountain donated by Powell Majors in honor of Dorothy Majors.
2001 - A less-formal worship service is begun at 9 a.m. in Terry Chapel.
2002 - A satellite office of the Methodist Counseling and Consultation Center opens in the Children's Building, with Dr. Mark Larson as the pastoral counselor.
2002-2003 - The Jones Building is demolished, except for the facades facing East Boulevard and Euclid Avenue, to make way for a new fellowship building and church offices.
May 2004 - New Jones Building opens.