At Dilworth Church, our members pride themselves on taking an active role in our community. From Fall Festivals for the neighborhood to reaching out to the homeless in our area, Dilworth offers many opportunities to give back. For more information on any of these ministries, please fill out the contact form located on the right side of this page.
Room in the Inn
What Is Room In The Inn?
Since 1996, the Urban Ministry Center has partnered with colleges and congregations of many faiths to open their facilities to provide shelter and food for our homeless neighbors during the winter months. Each site offers a warm, safe place to sleep; serves three meals (dinner, breakfast and bag lunch); and returns guests the following morning to uptown Charlotte. The program is a unique way for people of faith to become directly involved with people who are homeless. The simple goal is to keep homeless neighbors from freezing on cold winter nights. A greater goal is to provide a more personal relationship, at least for a night, and a deeper understanding of the depth and complexity of the issue.
Members, friends and family have many opportunities to use their gifts to participate in this program. We will host homeless guests for 10 evenings during the winter months. Volunteers are needed in all capacities: drivers, cooks, hosts, and cleaners, among others. Individuals, families and groups are welcome to help! For information on how to sign up, contact the church office, or visit our sign up page:
Please add recipe ideas you have used in the past to the site below and check back for future ideas. https://www.myrecipebook.com/
Crisis Assistance Ministry
Crisis Assistance Ministry is the Mecklenburg County “emergency room” for low-income families who are about to be padlocked or about to have their utilities turned off. Free clothes, small household goods, and furniture are also available through CAM to help the familiess stretch what money they have.
CAM was begun in 1975 by several churches who felt that assistance could be better provided if efforts were combined into one location, which initially was at DUMC. CAM has grown tremendously over the years, now filling a large building. Monies for assistance come from individuals, churches, foundations and government funds.
Volunteers are used in many areas: interviewing families who are requesting financial aid to determine cause and eligibility; helping with clerical work in the business office; sorting donated clothes; and of course donating clothes and furniture. There is a large wooden box in the lobby near the parking lot door if you have items you wish to donate. If you are interested in volunteering or for more information go to www.crisisassistance.org.
Reid Park Elementary
Dilworth Church supports Reid Park Academy (a K-8th school in West Charlotte) throughout the school year in a variety of ways. Below are some of the ways you can help:
1. Become a tutor, lunch buddy or student mentor. This commitment requires approximately 30 – 45 minutes at least twice a month. Work with a student or group of students on reading, math and homework or simply join your assigned student in the lunch room and be their special friend. These opportunities occur during the school year during school hours (approx 7:45 AM – 3:30 PM)
2. Become a Media Aid. Shelve books and assist in the media center. Hours similar to above.
3. Provide new uniforms. They can ALWAYS use uniform items which include: Navy or Khaki pants, shorts, girls jumpers or skorts, Navy or White collared shirts, preferably “golf shirts”. Cargo pants are NOT acceptable. Sizes from children’s 5 up to size 16 are most popular. Slim and Husky can also be used. A uniform Bin will be set up in the social hall.
4. Provide Teacher Support. Provide refreshments for a weekly faculty meeting. Participate in Teacher Appreciation week. Donate gift items and gift cards to be used as raffle items at meetings. Adopt a teacher for the year and send cards and emails showing your support.
5. Provide Financial Support for Cultural Arts Activities. Reid Park has no budget for these type of activities. You and/or your group could raise money for various class trips during the year. Last year Dilworth paid for a large percentage of the 4th Grade Class Trip to Old Salem. Church members and UMW groups have also sent classes to The Nutcracker and Children’s Theatre events.
6. Add your name to the List of Volunteers for one- time events. DUMC gets frequent requests during the school year for volunteers at Halloween parties, “Read Ins”, Test Proctors, EOG Fair and similar events that sometimes occur outside of school hours.
Every 4th Monday our church prepares and serves dinner at the Men's Shelter and feeds over 250 men who would possibly not eat otherwise. On these Mondays, we need 4-6 people each month to come at 4:30pm and help prepare and serve dinner to these men who are less fortunate than us. Think about how much a warm meal would means to those who are out in the elements every day. You can make a difference by simply helping in the kitchen!! The dinner will wrap up around 6:45pm and the best part is you don't even have to clean up.
Sign up right now - submit a form in the the right hand columnor give us a call at (704) 333-4173.
We’ve got LOTS! Join DUMC and other area churches for the Charlotte Church Partners’ Habitat for Humanity house building project as we take two empty LOTS and transform them into two homes for two deserving families. We need LOTS of volunteers and there are a LOT of ways you can get involved- from putting up drywall, painting, caulking, providing snacks & lunch for volunteers to helping stock the pantry for the new homeowners. Build dates are September 12th through November 14th, and DUMC will be the site host on Saturday, October 10th. For more information, click on the flyer linked above.
There are LOTS of ways you can sign up to volunteer: https://habitatcharlotte.volunteerconnect.com/charlotte-church-partners/full, fill out a form (in church narthex or Jones building), contact Kindl Detar, moc.l1472061002iamg@1472061002nnihs1472061002ldnik1472061002 or Jennifer Meier, moc.r1472061002r.ani1472061002lorac1472061002@reie1472061002mwj1472061002.
There is a LOT you can do to help!